
Many felt the Age of Aquarius heralded the coming of the "end of times" as written in the Bible, others felt that it was the dawning of the "new world". It was when the first commercial computer evolved and man walked on the moon for the first time. Nobody, not the crazy inventors, nor the knee-jerk conservatives, had any real idea what choices were being opened up by this new technology, whether it meant reaching for the stars, by walking on the moon, or test driving my first electric wheelchair.
This paper is about the effect Technology has had on my life.
PICTURE: One Small Step Neil Armstrong
But, for me it heralded freedom and the possibilitythat even I could reach for the stars ...
For me, assistive technology is any item, piece of equipment, or system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customised, that is commonly used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities for me or others with disabilities. Low-tech or high-tech technology can be made from store-bought items; it can be purchased through companies that specialise in making assistive and adapted products. Low and high technology allows me to achieve daily activities at home, work and in the community.
Low technology is my 'headpointer', which I have been using since 1972. High technology is an electric wheelchair, a PC and a 2.3 metre access yacht.
Being born in the early 1950s with Athetoid Quadriplegia a form of cerebral palsy and other health problems, meant my life started on pretty rocky ground, no one held much hope, especially my parents, when told that my prognosis was about ten years.
At this time, while my brother was learning to speak, walk and play, I would sit and watch him with envy, wishing that I could join in. I soon figured out for myself that having a disability meant my life was going to be different to other children.
All I wanted was just to grow-up and live a 'normal' life.
Unable to join in and play with other children, the one thing I could do was read. I read every newspaper and magazine that came within my reach. Then in 1956 technology entered my life with a 17 inch black & white television set. On this TV I watched documentaries, especially on the new technology which was evolving. Now I began to reach out and grasp every bit of information I possibly could.
PICTURE: This metal box was going to be a means to my new life.
My life changed the day I was sat me in front of a large metal box called an I.B.M. electric typewriter. I was asked to type my name. It took me 30 minutes and a foolscap page to type those two words.
The reason why it took me so long was, because I was four years of age; so small I couldn't see over the top of the typewriter, to see what I was typing. I can still remember how proud I was when I took that page of typing home to show my parents, but somehow it didn't mean anything to them. Maybe because they, couldn't understand the hieroglyphics.
Upon my return to school the next day I was told I couldn't type any more because it took me so long. Even though I was only four years old, I realised that this metal box was going to be a means to a new life for me.
At this time I was unable to speak. With the severity of my disability and poor health, my OT told my parents that this form of technology was not going to be an option for me.
So what did I do?
I played up like a naughty child every day for the next two weeks, until I was given back that typewriter. I was determined that nobody was going to take this piece of freedom away from me.
This electric typewriter became my best friend. I realised from the start that with it I could communicate and show people that there was more to ME, than what they were looking at. At last I could do something by myself and prove, not only to my parents and teachers, but to the therapists, that I was aware of what was going on around me and what I was missing out on. Now I was beginning to discover a new world, starting with schooling, and soon art.
No comments:
Post a Comment